Wednesday, February 18, 2009

Collecting Recipes Over Coffee





My pal Kim at Kim and Her Coffee (love the name of that blog and love that girl too)
is hosting Collecting Recipes Over Coffee! Click here for the info.
This week's theme: Soups, Stews & Chili!

How perfect for the waning days of a very cold winter! I have to admit... I have not made my soup yet. I did not get home until late last night. The soup won't be made for tonight's supper either as I will be leading our Small Group, so I won't have any pictures of a yummy soup and my cozy kitchen! This is a soup recipe I got from a Food Board I visit. It's very tasty and it's wonderful because you make it in your crockpot/slow cooker. Simmers all day!

Beef Barley Soup

1 lb. of stew beef cut into 1/2" chunks

2 cups carrots (rough chop)1 cup celery (chopped)

1 large onion diced1/2 c uncooked barley

1/4 c fresh parsley chopped

6 cups of beef or vegetable stock

3/4 tsp dried basil1 bay leaf

2 tbs. catsup

Salt & Pepper to taste

Instructions:

Brown the beef in a non-stick saute pan in small amount of olive oil. (I tossed the beef in a flour before browning – I put a bit of salt and pepper in the flour too)Remove beef chunks and put in crockpot. Add the diced vegetables to the pan and stir them around to pick up the flavor bits. I added one minced garlic clove. Add 1/4 cup of broth to the saute pan and stir. Move vegetables to crockpot with the beef and add the remaining ingredients.


Cook on low for 8 hours

OK... now I am hungry!

For now I will sit back and enjoy another cup of coffee...



7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Kristen! This sounds so good.... especially on this cold, gray, rainy day!!! YUM. Thank you!!!

I am off to make a pot of coffee ~ we had a crazy start to our day here and I'm officially calling a restart! :)

You have a great day! Love you, Kim

Yolanda said...

Kristen,

Thank you for sharing your recipe, after hearing about your coffee, fire place and soup that you had been in the midst of making the last time we officially visited....this makes me positive that you enjoy cooking and would share a tasty recipe from your own "liking"!

Love ya and pray you are doing fine.

Yolanda

Smelling Coffee said...

This is making me hungry, too! Sounds delicious!!! :-)

Angela Baylis said...

Your recipe sounds SOOOOO good! I have something similar in my fridge ready to plug in tomorrow morning! I love my crock pot, but usually forget to use it. I want to have coffee with you!
Love,
Angie xoxo

Sandy said...

Oh, that sounds really yummy, to eat on a cold day!

Gina said...

Kristen, I want to thank you for the recipe, I have been craving beef barley soup lately! It has been so cold and snowy here and I have been making lots of soups and the like. This will be on my list this week.

Cindy said...

This does sound good. Thanks for sharing it. I guess Kim has changed her blog to an invited readers only format so I can't read it to find out more about the recipe exchange.