Wednesday, November 26, 2008

"You're Welcome Day"

I read this week on a community food board that the Friday after Thanksgiving has been called “You’re Welcome Day”. I googled "You're Welcome Day" and this is what I found...

You're Welcome Day
When: Day after Thanksgiving

You're Welcome Day encourages us to simply say "You're welcome". It helps to put manners back into society.

This very special day comes the day after Thanksgiving. On Thanksgiving Day we say "Thanks" for what we have. So, it only seems natural, that "You're Welcome" immediately follows a thank you.

Participating in this day can happen anywhere that you are, and anywhere that you go today. Just speak a profusion of "thank you's" for even the slightest of reasons. When you say thank you, make sure to be sincere. It will go a long way.

I started to ponder Thanksgiving and You're Welcome Day. I thought about how on Thanksgiving we give Thanks to God for all we have, all He has provided. I think of Him shouting a great big You're Welcome! Can you hear Him? A You're Welcome that comes in in His son Jesus Christ. The day after Thanksgiving we beging focusing on Advent and Christmas; God says You're Welcome... and I have to think that God also adds... it was My pleasure.

So this Thanksgiving as you give thanks to God for your many, many blessings... think about His You're Welcome... prepare your heart and home for the coming of the Great You're Welcome!

The lady on the food board I participate on kicks off You're Welcome Day by making a wonderful breakfast for her family. I am going to follow suit. I am making a Blackberry Coffee Cake. I found the recipe on a can of Blackberry Pie Filling I picked up at Big Lots (love Big Lots)



Blackberry Coffee Cake

* 1/2 cup butter, softened
* 2 cups sugar
* 4 eggs
* 2 cups flour
* 2 tsp baking powder
* 1/2 tsp salt
* 1 can pie filling
* 1 cup confectioners sugar
* 2 tsp water
* 1 stp vanilla
(I also added 1/2 tsp almond extract)

Cream butter and sugar; beat in eggs one at a time. Stir in flour, baking powder and salt. Pour into buttered 13x9 pan. Spoon pie filling over top; swirl. Bake at 350 for 40 minutes until golden. Blend confectioners sugar, water, vanilla, and almond drizzle over cake
.


You could use any pie filling - I am sure.

Let me tell you... this dish is heavenly!

Happy Thanksgiving Friends!!!

Thessalonians 5:18 - "In every thing give thanks: for this is the will of God."


12 comments:

Cindy said...

I think now more than ever we can let His light shine as we thank others and treat them kindly. Everyone is stressed and even afraid in these uncertain times so to be the one who says a kind word goes a long way.

The recipe sounds wonderful too - thank you!

Paula said...

I am making cold cereal or Pop Tarts on Friday for breakfast... you're welcome, kids! :P

Just kidding... I think "you're welcome day" is a great idea, even if I'm not willing to give up a sleep-in day to make breakfast!

Hugs!

Carol said...

Kristen,
Thank you for stopping by this morning! Hope you visit again soon. What a good idea "you're welcome day" is!

Blessings,
Carol

Anonymous said...

I had never heard of this but it's a great idea, not only the day after Thanksgiving, but every day. I also agree that in these days a little kindness will go a long way. Thanks for your thoughts and for the recipe. Donna

Paula V said...

And just where is the pic of the finished product? Better yet, let me give you my address...it'll survive a few days in the mail, right. Just kidding.

I love the idea of "You're Welcome Day." You know as I read this, I pondered on how, I do love me some "You're Welcome." Seriously, we often say thanks. I always try to say thanks for the smallest of things. But when I hear a "you're welcome" it really does tickly my toes. It's like the other person is recognizing my appreciation and gratitude. I think I rarely say you're welcom. I don't know why.

You have really opened my eyes to this. I mean if I appreciate a you're welcome couldn't I gander that others like it just as much.

I'm really going to remember both...not only the importance of thank you but also you're welcome.

Thanks for this.
Love,
Paula

Sit A Spell said...

What a neat idea! I am huge on saying thank you and you're welcome. We do need to be mindful of all HE has done for us and tell HIM thank you...HE will whisper back in that still small voice...you're welcome my child.

elaine @ peace for the journey said...

I am going to tell you that your pumpkin dessert was a huge hit. I'm making it for the bank ladies next week. Do you make stuff for them? I do...simply for all those times when I screw up my account and fall on their good graces and mercy!

peace~elaine

Donna's Book Nook said...

This is off the subject, but I'm so envious of people who know how to change their backgrounds to cute winter/Christmas themes. I'm still a novice at doing things like that. Donna

Angela Baylis said...

I LOVE this idea... and I like good old-fashioned manners! :) Your new look is gorgeous! I'm afraid to change mine because I lost everything the last time I tried to improve it!
I hope you are having a great day!
Love,
Angie xoxo

Sarah said...

You've been tagged...can't wait to hear your answers!

much2ponder said...

Your welcome day...never heard of it. Love your new look! All Christmasy and warm:)

Kim@Seasons of My Heart said...

Yum-oh..I'll be trying this one for sure. :-)