Wednesday, June 25, 2008

Former Lives...

OK, I have to admit there are times I watch Oprah. If I am home early enough in the day the television might come on. Oprah happens to be aired on the same network I watch the evening news. Yesterday's program was one of those programs that just, well get under my skin. BIG TIME! The topic: Overcoming Lifelong Fears in 30 Minutes: Doe Past-Life Regression Work? Hmmmm... regressing to a past life, overcoming fears in 30 minutes (or less -hee hee) We were introduced to an expert in this field.

The expert showed us how he uses hypnosis to take a patient back in time to their earliest memories. Then, he takes them even further back to what he says are their previous lives. WOW - is he ever talented! From that point, the Dr. says he and the patient are able to examine the experiences that seemed to have formed the roots of their current fears and phobias. The show's expert said if you can connect your current fears to a past life, those fears will often disappear. OK, this man has DR. in front of his name so what he says has to be true! Ugggh! Americans are so hungry for answers that they will look to anything to find an answer - and Satan knows that fact! He will dangle all kinds of "answers", "solutions to our problems" out in front of us to take the focus off of the true answer... the Truth period! A death preserver fashioned to look like a life preserver. There are a lot of "experts" out there claiming to have the answers... test them friends. Do they stand up against the Word?

As Christians our past life is our Old Adam. Our new life is in Christ.

Romans 6: 1-1o

1What shall we say, then? Shall we go on sinning so that grace may increase? 2By no means! We died to sin; how can we live in it any longer? 3Or don't you know that all of us who were baptized into Christ Jesus were baptized into his death? 4We were therefore buried with him through baptism into death in order that, just as Christ was raised from the dead through the glory of the Father, we too may live a new life.
5If we have been united with him like this in his death, we will certainly also be united with him in his resurrection. 6For we know that our old self was crucified with him so that the body of sin might be done away with,[
a] that we should no longer be slaves to sin— 7because anyone who has died has been freed from sin.
8Now if we died with Christ, we believe that we will also live with him. 9For we know that since Christ was raised from the dead, he cannot die again; death no longer has mastery over him. 10The death he died, he died to sin once for all; but the life he lives, he lives to God.


My "old life" was the life I led before I turned it all over to Christ. It wasn't that I lived in 1541, 1776, or 1865. My "new life" is the life I lead as a child of God - one redeemed... freed from sin so I too can share in the ultimate glory - ressurection and eternal life in Christ.

Dealing with the root of our fears:

Do we get hypnotized to find out what in our "past life" is causing fear? I am no expert there, but how do I deal w/ my past failures, fears and sin. I pray, I steep myself in God's Word and at different times in my life have sought out Godly counselling from both a Pastor and a trained Christian Counselor/Therapist. If you are in the stronghold of sin, being held captive by a fear. Pray, seek God's Word for help, talk to a Pastor or a Godly, Christian, trained Counselor/Therapist. Surround yourself with an network of Christian friends. Remember, the root of all fear is sin and Satan. Period. And the way we combat Satan is with God!

Freedom from Fear

Our new life in Christ is how we are freed from fear, phobias, sin and death. Our new life, our freedom doesn't come from some new wave mumbo jumbo. Turning all our problems over to the Lord, so He can handle them, surrendering all to Christ - that's how we conquer fear and death! Trust Him, Believe Him!


Matthew 11:28-30
28"Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest. 29Take my yoke upon you and learn from me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. 30For my yoke is easy and my burden is light."

Psalm 23: 4
4 Even though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil, for you are with me; your rod and your staff, they comfort me.


In this world we will have troubles. We will be confronted with sin, sinners and fear. Overcoming fear and phobias won't come from finding out what happened in a former life from which we are reincarnated, but overcoming sin in our current life. The only way to overcome sin is through Jesus Christ.... freedom from our lifelong fears will come when we turn them over to Christ and walk assuredly knowing He is handling them. It might not happen in 30 minutes (it can, God can do anything) but God is reaching down His Holy Hand... to take hold, take an old life and make it new! Grab hold! Feel the shackles fall away!



8 comments:

Paula V said...

Kristen,
I too have never really been a fan of Oprah. However, I assumed she has "wholesome" stuff on her shows...helpful kind of stuff. I totally lost all respect for her when she started promoting Elkert( sp?) and the new age faith. Some of the stuff she said was so far out...something about not wanting a God who is jealous is one thing I recall.

Anyway, sounds like she's found another quack. I don't say that in meanness or name calling but it's just plain ludicrous to think we had another life or that we will have another life (physical on Earth). Even if we did have another life, how would going back to the first release us of our current fears. Weird, I say weird.

I agree with everything you said about Christ and finding freedom from fear and having new life. You spoke excellent truth to combat the lies satan used to deceive this doctor, Oprah, and MANY viewers. It's scary because Oprah is well-watched by many.

Great post.
Paula

elaine @ peace for the journey said...

Jesus is our total freedom over our fears. He's our peace. Nothing else will ever fill the bill.

I'll be in touch later! I'm on vacation and feel so far from my friends, but loving the time with my fam.

peace~elaine

connie said...

I agree you have to have God to battle your fears, he is one that can get you through it, If God wanted you to learn in 30 mins, the Bible would be a lot shorter...
You are in my prayers...
Connie
GBU

Pamela (His maidservant) said...

I too have not been much of an Oprah fan but would ocassionally put her on for noise. She really has seemed to fall short this past year from what I am hearing. And you are right, her message was all wrong again this time-it's Christ we need in orderto overcome. You should go be on her show and present this!! SERIOUSLY!!

In His Graces~Pamela

Yolanda said...

I am not a fan of Oprah at all. And for the record, I do not watch soap operas.

Well, now that I got that off my chest, ha! ;0)

I love this statement, Kristen, that you made. "A death preserver fashioned to look like a life preserver."

Stomp all over the devil....stomp stomp stomp.

God is our victory and He alone brings the victory.

Love,
Yolanda

much2ponder said...

years ago I loved Oprah, but today...it is very hard for me to watch. It seems people look to her for answers instead of God. I often wonder if she realizes how much the devil is using her and her show as a means to fool unsuspecting people. I will keep Oprah as well as those who are falling for the counterfeit. Lord your truth is greater, you are bigger and I pray you would stop the lies of the enemy from penetrating the hearts of people who are mesmerized by a false hope and a false promise. We ask for only TRUTH to prevail, in Jesus mighty name, Amen.

much2ponder said...

One more thing...you are very cute :)
Have a blessed day!

Kelley said...

I am like the last commenter, I used to watch Oprah but now she just scares me. She has seemed to change over the years as well. I am thinking of the phrase "a wolf in sheep's clothing..." However, it seems that everything around us is a tool of Satan. TIME magazine has an article in its June 28 issue that discusses the benefits of drinking with your kids. I am just appalled!! One thing I appreciate about the internet is the relationships and support I have found in blogging. Thanks for expressing your heart in this post, it may not be the popular opinion but I believe it is the right one and I stand with you!!