Thursday, October 7, 2010

Feathering my Nest...

"Autumn is a second spring when every leaf's a flower" ~ Albert Camus

I love this time of year... as the year matures into the beauty of autumn. We have already enjoyed our first fire in our fireplace... I was snuggled into my favorite fall/winter spot - my comfy chair next to a crackling fire. There is something about the change into fall that seems to say slow down, savor and enjoy this season.  I prefer this time of year much more so than the heat, humidity and the lack of rain we endured in Indy this summer.

I love to feather my nest, especially in the fall, and prepare for crisp evenings and the cold of winter. I embrace it... I can't change the fact that winter follows as I am not the one in charge of the seasons, the temps etc.  I leave that to God! ;)  I have found I am in much better spirits and more fun to be around if I don't grumble about what I cannot control! 

 I found these tips on the Better Homes and Gardens website and thought I would share them with you all!  I hope they offer you an opportunity to cozy up your home so you can enjoy when the change of seasons keeps you indoors.

Add a Throw Blanket

Nubby knits are an ideal companion for chilly nights at home with a movie. Plus, they temporarily add seasonal pattern and color to your home.
Get Cozy: Place throw blankets over your sofa and chairs, and even keep a few folded for the floor.

Pile Up Pillows

Paired with a warm blanket, pillows become snuggle buddies during on-the-sofa homework help or bill paying.
Get Cozy: Look for pillows with a lot of texture so they'll stand up to all the touching, snuggling, and (maybe!) throwing. Then pile them on the sofa and think about investing in or making larger ones for the floor.

Gather Around the Hearth

A crackling fire naturally draws people to it, so accommodate that with extra seating around your hearth.
Get Cozy: Rearrange your furniture to shift your conversation area to the fireplace. Add a stack of books to encourage much-needed relaxation time

Line Tables with Fabric

Bare tables, while perfect for breezy summers, are too stark for fall. Cover them up with seasonally appropriate runners.
Get Cozy: Tablecloths are expected, but a runner is an even easier way to dress up a table. Get creative and use a long scarf, a fabric remnant, or a thin blanket as a runner.


Carve Out a Reading Nook

Forget summer reading lists. Fall is the time to pull out your favorite tomes and lose yourself for hours in a good book.
Get Cozy: Pick a well-lit corner of your home, either by natural light or a lamp, and shove a comfy armchair in it. Place a table nearby, stacked with your favorite books and reading lists.

Try an Area Rug

Nothing heralds the pending arrival of winter quite like a cold floor on bare feet.
Get Cozy: Fend off icy toes by placing area rugs in well-traveled spots in the home. And put on a pair of house slippers!


Hang Heavier Drapes

Heavy drapes keep out drafts and lend an opulence to the room, especially if you let them pool an inch or so on the ground.
Get Cozy: Switch out summer sheers for pattern drapes, layering fabrics for extra warmth if you want it.


So what types of changes/ additions do you make to your home in the fall/winter to make it cozy and comfy!  What do you look forward to the most as the seasons turn!  (no negatives about how you hate winter please... remember, we don't want grumbling !  [ grin] )

Savor this season friends... the landscape shines in the rich colors God has provided!  Soak in His majesty and the ordinary miracles many overlook as they go about their day.  Take a walk, sip some cider, visit an apple orchard and pick your own apples, bake a pie or an apple crisp!  Snuggle up with a good book, your bible or a movie! 


"Even if something is left undone, everyone must take time to sit still and watch the leaves turn."
- Elizabeth Lawrence

7 comments:

Kim@Seasons of My Heart said...

Kristen~
Happy Fall my friend.

I LOVE the tips you've shared...they make me feel so warm..and fallish.

Enjoy that fireplace...wish I could join you!

Have a great day.

Paula said...

I love my fireplaces, too. Mine are gas, so no crackling, but they are still pretty cozy. I need to take the glass off and clean it off... maybe I'll do that today!

I would like to get a nice wood fire going in the fire pit outside and roast some marshmallows.

It doesn't feel like fall here... it's been very warm. Nice for the twins to have great outside playing weather though.

Cindy said...

This is also my favorite time of year. I love the comfort of cooler weather...snuggly clothes, fireplace, hot tea, soup, being indoors with family.

I posted some photos at my blog capturing some of the brilliant color around here.

Donna's Book Nook said...

I'm not really ready for winter, but I am enjoying the Fall weather. The trees around our place are not brilliant, because of the drought, but I was in southern Indiana yesterday and it was a beautiful drive.

I actually do like curling up in my recliner with a book, tea, etc. Don't have a fireplace though.

elaine @ peace for the journey said...

Been a rough week for nesting... how I've desperately craved the simplicity of simple pleasures. Alas, not to be, but I'm rallying a bit from my initial chemo treatment and hope to feel better by tomorrow. Please pray for my continuing strength in this time of transition. I feel so very weak...

Blessed Sabbath rest.

peace~elaine

Sarah said...

I'm so excited for fall--we finally had some cooler temps here yesterday and will again today.

Your comments about Anna Claire make me smile! Knowing that you have been "in my life" since before she was born makes me smile too! Have a great weekend!

Anonymous said...

Hi Kristen! Your blog photos are beautiful. I have a certificate to take a photo class... so I'm anxious to learn new skills. Don't you just love the fall weather we're having? LOVE IT! THese tips are great.... My kitchen table is naked and I like the suggestion to throw on a runner. PS ~ So happy for you that you have a newly styled kitchen! Looks so great. If you are back to cooking and would like to... would love to have you as a guest contributor on my site for Saturday Swap! Hugs Friend!!